Note: Due to Covid restrictions we are trying to be flexible with volunteer hour eligibility. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about volunteer hours or the application process. The volunteer hours requirement is evaluated and subject to change each year and will likely increase in the future.
In 1955, the Japanese American community established a scholarship to honor the late Mr. Harry Sakata. Mr. Sakata was involved with the Japanese American community on both the local and national level and believed the youth is the future of the Japanese American community.
From that humble beginning, the Japanese American Community Graduation Program has developed into a program that recognizes high school seniors of Japanese American ancestry and non Japanese American seniors who are active in two or more JACGP sponsoring organizations. This program is dedicated to all graduating high school students who exemplify Mr. Sakata’s qualities of leadership and community service.
Annually, a graduation banquet is held to honor all eligible high school graduates. This year’s honorees are the class of 2024. Many awards and scholarships totaling over $45,000.00 are also presented at this banquet to assist some of these graduates to continue their education. The banquet will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2024.
What makes a student eligible?
- You are a graduating high school senior residing in Colorado who is either an American citizen of Japanese ancestry or an American citizen whose legal parent(s) is/are of Japanese ancestry, or
- You are a graduating high school senior of Japanese ancestry residing in Colorado who has a permanent resident status (INS documentation) in the United States, or
- You are a graduating high school senior who is, or who has a parent who is, an active member of one of the following JACGP sponsoring organizations:
- Brighton Japanese American Association
- Denver Nisei Bowling Association
- Nikkeijin Kai of Colorado
- Japanese American Community Graduation Program Committee
- Japanese Business Association of the Rockies
- Mile High Chapter Japanese American Citizens League
- Nisei Veterans Heritage Foundation
- Sakura Foundation
- Chibi no Gakko
- Simpson United Methodist Church
- Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple
- Denver Bonsai Club
- Japanese American Resource Center of Colorado
*Eligibility Updates to Geographic location and sponsoring organizations. (Updated on October 11, 2023)
Japanese American Community Graduation Program
P.O. Box 13665