In 1955, the Japanese American community established a scholarship to honor the late Mr. Harry Sakata. Mr. Sakata was involved with the Japanese American community on both the local and national level and believed the youth is the future of the Japanese American community.
From that humble beginning, the Japanese American Community Graduation Program has developed into a program that recognizes high school seniors of Japanese American ancestry and non Japanese American seniors who are active in two or more JACGP sponsoring organizations. This program is dedicated to all graduating high school students who exemplify Mr. Sakata’s qualities of leadership and community service.
Annually, a graduation banquet is held to honor all eligible high school graduates. This year’s honorees are the class of 2021. Many awards and scholarships totaling over $45,000.00 are also presented at this banquet to assist some of these graduates to continue their education. The banquet will be held on Saturday, June 12, 2021 at the Arvada Center.
What makes a student eligible?
- You are a graduating high school senior residing in the Denver, Colorado Metropolitan area who is either an American citizen of Japanese ancestry or an American citizen whose legal parent(s) is/are of Japanese ancestry, or
- You are a graduating high school senior of Japanese ancestry residing in the Denver, Colorado Metropolitan area who has a permanent resident status (INS documentation) in the United States, or
- You are a graduating high school senior who is, or who has a parent who is, an active member of one of the following JACGP sponsoring organizations:
- Brighton Japanese American Association
- Denver Nisei Bowling Association
- Fort Lupton Japanese American Citizens League
- Japanese American Association of Colorado
- Japan Firms Association of Colorado
- Longmont Buddhist Temple
- Mile High Chapter Japanese American Citizens League
- Nisei Veterans Heritage Foundation
- Sakura Foundation
- Simpson United Methodist Church
- Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple
Japanese American Community Graduation Program
P.O. Box 13665